Skip to content
At a Glance

Student Complaint Process &
Institutional Authorization


The University of Indianapolis is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and participates in the Commission’s Academic Quality Improvement Program (AQIP). The next reaffirmation of accreditation is in 2016. Learn more ►

State authorization

The University of Indianapolis is a member of, and operates within, boundaries established by the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (SARA). In accordance with federal law, the University of Indianapolis is authorized to operate in Indiana by the State of Indiana (see Indiana Code 21-7-13-6).

Consumer information

The University of Indianapolis prepares students for effective, responsible and articulate membership in the complex society in which they live and serve, and for excellence and leadership in their personal and professional lives. UIndy values ethical, responsible and professional behavior with respect expressed among all members of the University community.

Title IV--Federal student financial aid resources

The University of Indianapolis is authorized to participate in federal Title IV programs. Visit for more information.

Title IX--Sexual misconduct resources & reporting

Specific services are available for concerns related to sexual misconduct. To learn more, or to file a formal sexual misconduct complaint, visit If reporting a campus crime, call the emergency line at 317-788-3333 for campus police.

Online programs & licensure

UIndy offers several programs online that lead to professional licensure. Learn more ►

Student complaint process

UIndy desires to resolve student concerns, complaints or grievances in an expeditious, fair and amicable manner. In registering complaints, UIndy students must follow the policies and procedures of both the University and the respective department level that have been established and are published in the University and departmental student handbooks.

If you have a concern, please follow the steps outlined below. The following contact information may be helpful to you in informally resolving your issue.

Step 1: Informal concern process

A student with a concern that a policy or procedure within a department has been incorrectly or unfairly applied in his/her particular case or a concern about a person’s behavior should seek to resolve the matter at the level where it has occurred. Follow these steps:

  1. Discuss your concern with the faculty or staff member involved first and as soon as possible.
  2. If the concern is not resolved, discuss the concern with the department head (program director/chair or staff supervisor) within ten (10) days after the discussion with faculty or staff member.
  3. If the concern is not resolved after talking with the program director/chair or staff supervisor, follow the formal process to submit a written complaint using the appropriate Complaint/Grievance Form for academic or non-academic complaints. There is a two (2) year statute of limitations for filing a formal complaint/grievance from the time of the incident.

Note: Grade appeals, cases of academic misconduct, dismissal from program and/or the University and other formal actions follow step-by-step processes detailed in the general UIndy Student Handbook or the specific program handbooks. If a student has exhausted those avenues for appeal, the formal internal complaint/grievance process described below in Step 2 is NOT an additional avenue of appeal.

Step 2: Formal internal complaint/grievance

If no agreement is reached in Step 1, a student may file a formal complaint, which should be submitted within ten (10) days after the meeting with the program director/chair or staff supervisor, or as directed in the departmental student handbook. The completed form will be routed to the appropriate office and you will receive an email confirming receipt. The Complaint/Grievance Procedure in the student handbook will be followed. 

Select either the academic or non-academic box below to complete the formal complaint/grievance form only after Step 1 (described above) has been followed.

Examples: appeals of grades, academic misconduct, admission, or academic suspension

Examples: complaints regarding ADA, residence halls, food service, bookstore, or financial aid

Step 3: Formal external process 

When a student has a complaint that is not resolved within the University, the next step is to contact an external authority. Note: Grade appeals, academic misconduct and student behavior misconduct complaints are not considered beyond the university level and will not be addressed by these external authorities.

External authorities for students residing in Indiana
  • Office for Civil Rights (educational discrimination on the basis of race, sex, disability, etc.)
    Phone: 1-800-421-3481
External authorities for online student not residing in Indiana