Franco-Germanic Studies Major
A degree in Franco-Germanic Studies can be applied to many different career fields, such as business, communication, education, government and science. When you choose to pursue Franco-Germanic Studies at UIndy, you'll learn more than just how to read and write the language—you'll learn about the cultures, philosophies, history and business practices of French- and German-speaking countries. All of this new knowledge will help you grow as a student, broaden your worldview and cultivate your talents and interests for the future. Many of our students go on to do amazing things that they had never dreamed they could accomplish.
- Courses that focus on French and German literature, culture, philosophy and business practices
- Several travel and study abroad opportunities through the Global Languages & Cross Cultural Studies Department
- Professors that are dedicated to helping you understand and hone your skills in French and German linguistics
- Opportunities for combining classroom work with service learning experiences
- Engagement with the French- and German-speaking culture and community in Indianapolis
Potential careers in Franco-Germanic Studies
Upon graduating from UIndy, you'll have a comfortable grasp on the spoken and written language, solid preparation for multiple career fields and the ability to adapt to many different situations. Because you will be studying a subject that focuses on critical thinking and research, there is a wide variety of careers you can choose from:
- Teacher: Whether you are interested in teaching locally or abroad, having a degree in French can open up doors to many opportunities.
- Government work: The government often relies on those who can speak a different language when it comes to issues in immigration and foreign policy.
- Translation: One of the most common roles for those with degrees in a foreign language is that of translator or interpreter. Typically, these roles are needed for governments and international businesses.
- Graduate school: Having a degree in French will help you prepare for a variety of master’s degrees such as business, communication, political science, international relations and various fields in technology.
Franco-Germanic Studies might be for you if:
- You enjoy learning about new cultures
- You enjoy reading literature from other countries
- You have a desire to learn about foreign business practices
- You want to learn a new language
- You enjoy learning on your own and engaging with other students
- You have an interest in teaching a foreign language or a desire to teach abroad
These curriculum guides outline the different classes you will need to take as a Franco-Germanic studies major. The general education guide provides a list of all the classes you need in order to fulfill UIndy’s general education requirements. The Franco-Germanic studies guide lists the classes you'll need to take to fulfill the major’s requirements. Be sure to take a look at both guides in order to get a complete picture of what your classes will look like at UIndy.