Latin American Studies Major
The Latin American Studies major at UIndy provides valuable working knowledge of Spanish language, cultures, literature and philosophy. In addition to developing your Spanish speaking, reading and writing skills, this program provides you with practical skills and tools that will continue to make you successful after completion of the degree. With classes focused on cultural understanding, historical time periods and a range of literature, you will not just gain an understanding of the language but an understanding of Spanish speakers. We strive to make your learning an experience that encourages your curiosity, hones your skills, and allows you to grow as a student and individual.
- Courses that focus on culture, literature, philosophy and linguistics
- Professors that are knowledgeable in the language as well as the cultures of the Spanish-speaking world
- Engagement with the Hispanic community in Indianapolis
- Courses designed to focus on service learning and the Hispanic community
- Many study abroad options and opportunities both during the summer and the school year
Potential careers in Latin American Studies:
A degree in Latin American Studies prepares you for much more than living abroad or working in translation and interpretation. The program is designed to teach you about cultures, people and literature. As a result, upon graduating you will be knowledgeable in communications, research, critical thinking and the Spanish-speaking world. With all of these skills, you will be prepared to:
- Teach: Many students who study Spanish at the college level go on to become high school teachers.
- Enter government work: The U.S. government employs people who are proficient in foreign languages like Spanish to help with international relations and to help communicate with Spanish speakers in the U.S.
- Translate: One of the more popular jobs for those with a degree in a foreign language, translation and interpretation can used for a variety of jobs including communications, publishing and business.
- Go abroad: Whether you are looking to travel or are interested in teaching abroad, a degree in Spanish language can help you communicate with a large population that you may encounter on your travels abroad.
- Attend graduate school: For some students, studying Spanish at the undergraduate level is great preparation for a master’s degree in language, business, politics or communications.
Latin American Studies might be for you if:
- You enjoy learning about new cultures
- You enjoy studying literature and language
- You want to travel abroad either while you are in school or after you graduate
- You hope to run for a political office in the future
- You enjoy working with other students
- You have a strong desire to work in international business, communications or technology
These curriculum guides outline the different classes you will need to take as a Latin American Studies major. The general education guide provides a list of all the classes you need in order to fulfill UIndy’s general education requirements. The Latin American Studies guide lists the classes you'll need to take to fulfill the major’s requirements. Be sure to take a look at both guides in order to get a complete picture of what your classes will look like at UIndy.