Digital Media Studies Major
The Digital Media Studies major is an interdisciplinary program that includes courses in Art & Design, Communication, English and Math & Computer Science. The major gives you a well-rounded background in content, visual design and computer programming to prepare you for jobs that require a wide range of digital skills and media knowledge.
- Indianapolis location offers many applied learning, internship and job opportunities
- Faculty have strong relationships with local professionals in a variety of digital media fields, which offer opportunities for highly qualified guest speakers and adjunct instructors, as well as pipelines for internships and career positions
- Classroom fully equipped with the latest technology and designed for collaborative work and presentations
- Curriculum developed with input from local professionals to ensure you get the skills you need to start a successful career
- Only program of its kind in Indiana
All students will take core courses in writing and content, design, programming and software development, marketing and public relations, communication law, and analytics.
You also will choose from one of three concentrations: content, visual design, or computer programming. Concentration courses will provide a more in-depth study in each aspect of digital media and allow you to focus on the area(s) that interests you most.
The major also includes a capstone course in which you will collaborate with team members from all three tracks to develop a digital project from start to finish.
Potential careers in digital media
- Web designer
- Social media director
- User experience designer
- Marketing media specialist
- Interactive video editor
- Digital content editor
- App developer
- Multimedia/digital designer
- Analytics analyst
- Creative services writer/developer/ designer
- eCommerce writer/developer/designer
- Front-end developer
- Solution designer
- Instructional designer
Digital Media Studies might be for you if:
- You have a passion for sharing news and empowering others to become more informed
- You enjoy strategizing and thinking of multiple ways to meet your goal
- You enjoy collaborating and learning to work with others who have both similar and different skill sets from you
- You want to create interactive media experiences rich with content, design and technology
- You like working and creating with many different toolsets, including writing, design, audio and video production, and coding
Digital Media Studies minor & certificate
The Digital Media Studies minor is 18 credit hours and includes introductory courses in digital practices and software development, along with classes in writing for the web, analytics, law and marketing or public relations.
The Digital Media Studies certificate is 12 credit hours and includes the required Web & Social Media Analytics (three credit hours), along with nine additional credit hours of electives from the major.
These curriculum guides outline the different classes you will need to take as a Digital Media Studies major. The general education guide provides a list of all the classes you need in order to fulfill UIndy’s general education requirements. The Digital Media Studies guide lists all of the classes you will need to take in order to fulfill the major’s requirements. Be sure to take a look at both guides in order to get a complete picture of what classes you'll take at UIndy.