Math Teaching Major
The UIndy mathematics teaching major provides students with both a full liberal arts major in math and outstanding teacher preparation through our award-winning Department of Teacher Education. Math teaching courses provide an in-depth study of the skills and subjects necessary for teaching math to middle and high school students – a job that is in high demand in schools across the country.
To be eligible for a middle/high school teaching license, you must take at least 36 credit hours in math, in addition to education courses. You can complete the program in four years. To make sure you stay on track, you'll have two academic advisors—one in the Math Department and one in the Teacher Education Department.
“The education program gives students several experiences in front of classrooms. I have been in classrooms since my freshman year at UIndy. During my junior year, I did a practicum at the school in which I now teach. I believe this practicum is what really helped me get the job.”
- Comprehensive curriculum provides you with the teaching techniques and subject knowledge for teaching a diverse student population
- In addition to in-depth math courses, classes cover such subjects as the use of technology in the classroom, techniques for teaching math, and classroom communication
- Multiple field opportunities through the School of Education each of the four years of the program, including diverse field experiences at urban, suburban, charter and private schools under the on-site supervision of Teacher Education faculty
- Methods classes held on-site in local secondary schools help you connect classroom theory with actual practice
“UIndy has a great history with teachers all around the state, and they know which teachers to send their students to for training. The teachers under whom I completed my student teaching were great mentors and really helped prepare me to run my own classroom.”
Math Teaching might be for you if:
- You love math
- You have a desire to teach in a classroom setting
- You enjoy working with kids and helping others
- You are seeking a career in a high-demand area
The curriculum guides outline the different courses you will need to take in order to fulfill the requirements for the mathematics teaching major. The general education guide provides a list of all the class options and requirements that must be taken to fulfill UIndy’s general education requirements. The mathematics teaching guide shows you the courses that are required to receive the degree and will help you plan your course of study. Be sure you look at both guides to fully understand what your classes and schedule will look like at UIndy.