Lugar Symposium Scholarship & Award
As an attendee of the Lugar Symposium for Tomorrow's Leaders, you can apply for two awards that recognize your outstanding accomplishments as a high school student.
- All freshman full-time undergraduate applicants to the University of Indianapolis who attended the Lugar Symposium during their junior year in high school will automatically be considered for the scholarships.
- Applications for admission to the University of Indianapolis must be received by January 15 of your senior year.
A selection committee comprised of the Director of the Lugar Center, the Director of Financial Aid and the Director of Admissions will select up to ten students from the pool of applicants based on academic credentials.
- Award is renewable each year, continuing through the senior year (a maximum of four consecutive undergraduate years) provided that the student remains in good standing and maintains at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA as a full-time student, with successful completion of at least 20 credit hours per year.
- There is an expectation that students will participate in variety of leadership opportunities at UIndy
Receipt of Other Aid/Stacking
The Lugar Symposium Scholarship may not be stacked with any other merit award of equal or greater value. The highest award will take precedence over awards of lesser value. The combination of all gift assistance may not exceed the total of the tuition charge plus a standard book allowance for commuter/off-campus students. A student living in on-campus housing is limited to the total of the tuition charge, a standard book allowance and room and board charges based on a 14-meal plan.
The Distinguished Student Leadership Award is given by the Richard G. Lugar Center for Tomorrow's Leaders recognizing an outstanding high school student leader who has demonstrated excellence in leadership. Leadership may be demonstrated through traditional school activities, work responsibilities, community involvement, church-related activities and family commitment. The Lugar Center seeks to recognize the accomplishments of youth leaders and endeavors to encourage and support potential leaders. The award is presented by Senator Lugar at the Lugar Symposium for Tomorrow's Leaders. The recipient of the Distinguished Leadership Award is recognized with a $1,000 monetary award and is welcome to make a short acceptance speech.
- Have attended the 2012 Richard G. Lugar Symposium for Tomorrow's Leaders.
- Have a minimum of 3.0 cumulative G.P.A. (on 4.0 scale).
- Have demonstrated leadership skills and ability.
- Have a proven commitment to serving others.
- Submit an official high school transcript.
- Be available to receive the award at the Lugar Symposium in December 2013 at the University of Indianapolis.
The Distinguished Student Leadership Award recipient will be selected from among a pool of candidates who are Indiana high school student leaders. Selection will be based on the recipient's leadership and service experience, recommendation form, academic record and a written essay.
How to Apply
Complete the application, which includes submitting a recommendation form, official high school transcript, list of student leadership activities and a short essay.
Please check back soon for the 2013 Lugar Distinguished Student Leadership Award application.
Please send completed applications to:
Lara Mann, Director
Richard G. Lugar Center for Tomorrow's Leaders
University of Indianapolis
1400 East Hanna Avenue
Indianapolis, Indiana 46227
Application Due Date
Applications will be due in November 2013.