Skip to content
UIndy Police: 317-788-3333
At a Glance

Reporting Crimes

In an emergency, always dial 911 first.

Victims of a property crime on campus should report the crime by calling UIndy Police. A police officer may be dispatched to help and/or take information for an official report. UIndy Police officers also can be contacted immediately by activating one of the 11 emergency call boxes located near Christel DeHaan Fine Arts Center, Cory Bretz Hall, Schwitzer Student Center, Nicoson Hall, Cravens Hall and the University Apartment courtyards. All call boxes are outside of the buildings and marked at night by a blue light. 

Official crime reports also are made to the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department unless the investigation has no significance outside the campus community. Reports are not forwarded when stolen property has no serial numbers or other identifying features, or in matters involving campus citations for university parking or vehicle operation violations.

Anonymous crime reporting form

If you witnessed a crime on campus and would like to anonymously report it, please fill out this form with the most complete details possible. The form will be sent to the UIndy Police Department when you click submit.

File a crime report anonymously ►

Timely reporting of crimes near campus

Notice of crimes in certain categories are sent to the UIndy community via the University e-mail system and/or by posting crime alerts on bulletin boards in the common areas of campus buildings. In addition, notice of crime trends for all reported crimes of repetitive nature and of a continued threat to the community are published within one business day of the crime or identification of the crime trend.

Daily log

UIndy Police maintain a daily log of the date, time, location, case report number and disposition of all crimes filed with the department. This log is public record. Entries and updates are made in the log within two business days. Logs from the past six months are available online. View the daily logs ►

Information about sex offenses

UIndy is committed to maintaining an environment that supports its primary educational mission and is free from exploitation and intimidation. UIndy supports this policy through educational programs, counseling and medical services, and enforces the policy via internal disciplinary and grievance procedures and encouragement of external prosecution through appropriate judicial avenues. Offenses covered under this policy include any sexual act directed against another person against that person’s will, or when the victim is incapable of giving consent due to his or her youth or temporary or permanent mental or physical incapacity.

Victims of sex offenses are encouraged to report the offense as soon as possible after the incident. The UIndy Counseling Center Staff, the university nurse, and the university chaplain can provide information about assistance, resources and options for available to victims. A student or other campus member may report a sexual assault to the UIndy Police Department or Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department. A report also can be made to any campus security authority. Contact UIndy Police from a cell phone at 317-788-3333, or from a campus phone by dialing extension 3333.

Victims of sexual assault are advised not to change clothes, shower, wash or douche after the assault so that physical evidence of the crime is not destroyed. The reporting UIndy Police officer will make arrangements for transportation to the hospital for a medical exam and for the gathering and preservation of physical evidence of the crime.

Complaints against enrolled students will be forwarded to the Dean of Students for resolution within student conduct code procedures. During the student conduct code determination process, the accuser and accused have the right to have others present during disciplinary hearings. The accuser and the accused will be notified of the outcome of a campus disciplinary proceeding.

UIndy offers assistance to campus-related victims of sex offenses. Services include counseling, advocacy, assistance in locating medical and legal help and follow-up care. A victim’s academic and living situation will be changed upon request if reasonably available.

Campus and area assistance resources